I’ve been dealing with some challenging situations in my work lately. One of my clients has been particularly disorganized, and for the first time in a long time I’m finding it hard not to carry their own stress into my life.
It’s not the scenario I hoped for when I took on this client, but it’s a scenario that many aspiring adventurers know well.
Do you find yourself carrying the stress of your 9 to 5 into your nights and weekends?
Do you find it tough to turn off the worry when you turn off the laptop?
Is it hard for you to devote time to working on your goals and dreams because you’re too stressed about the here and now?
I can certainly relate, and my best piece of advice is this: use your frustration as fuel for the future.
When you catch yourself dwelling on anger or frustration, reframe the situation by saying (out loud, in a journal or in your head) “I’m so thankful for work that allows me to pay my bills. I’m so thankful for work that allows me to save for my future goals. This situation is helping me to build my future dream life.”
Remember that this frustration is fueling your future in multiple ways:
- Financially – this money supports you while you dream and scheme and plan, and it may let you save enough for funding future too.
- Emotionally – this experience is giving you visceral lessons that will stick with you moving forward. You’ll remember this feeling and when you lose momentum or focus on the work of dream life creation, remembering how much you don’t want to experience this again will get you that fire under your butt that’s needed for change.
Rewriting our stories is truly important for growth. It’s essential that I keep rewriting my frustration so that instead of a thing that’s happening to me, I put myself in a position of power.
I choose to do this job to support my future life.
I do this work to feed my family.
I’m learning lessons that will help me in the future.
Choose a story of empowerment. Choose to use your frustration as future fuel.
Have you been in this situation?
How did you handle it?
How are you rewriting your story today?
Supporting Our Blog
We are so thankful for your support of our blog and our careers! You can help by doing any or all of the following:
- Purchase one of Ross’ albums!
- Become a patron of our work!
- Make purchases via our Amazon website links. There is no additional cost to you, and a portion of the proceeds can support our travels. Begin your Amazon search here.
- Make other purchases using our affiliate links. Capital One 360 is one everyone can take advantage of to save money! Signing up with Dosh is a great way for everyone with a smartphone to support us, and we also have options for aspiring virtual assistants as well as occasional and full-time RVers to save money.
- Listen to, subscribe and review our theater comedy podcast, Finishing The Season!
- Subscribe to our blog, as well as perhaps InSearchOfAScoop.com, and recommend our work to your friends and family.
- Take music or theater lessons (group or private) from us, either in person or via Skype at TinyVillageMusic.com