I recently had the opportunity to visit City of Rocks State Park, a park and campground I’d heard about from several bloggers in the past. It’s in between Silver City and Deming, New Mexico, and as we were staying in Deming, it was an easy drive of about a half hour to the park. I found it to be a small, but gorgeous, park, with a botanical garden, hiking and incredible large rock formations that you can camp next to, climb and photograph.
During my visit, I lucked into watching a hawk feed its family. Absolutely an incredible sight. I was also pleasantly surprised to have a pretty excellent cell signal (3 bars on T-Mobile, good enough for high-quality streaming on my phone). There are two campground areas – one area is with the rocks, boondocking, and the other area offers hookups. To be perfectly honest, I felt the area with hookups wasn’t too appealing. Sites are very close together and don’t have much privacy. But if you’re able to boondock for a few nights, I highly recommend it here. Due to the height of the rocks, the sites offer a ton of privacy and space, with incredible views and a truly unique experience camped among the rock formations.
New Mexico’s state parks are an incredible and affordable resource. A day pass is only $5/car and will get you into multiple parks in a day, which is especially helpful in this area if you just want to drive through them or make quick visits. But an annual pass (day use) is only $40, making it extremely affordable.
An annual pass for camping is also a steal, if you’ll be using it for say, three months, but if not, camping rates at the state parks are only $8-$14/night, so it’s definitely a great deal.
I’m very thankful I finally had the chance to visit City of Rocks. It’s an other-worldly experience that I highly recommend.
Next up for us: we are hard at work on our online ukulele course and are about to release a new album of ambient music for yoga and meditation. Lots of great stuff.
Thanks for stopping by, and have a wonderful day!
Supporting Our Blog
We are so thankful for your support of our blog and our careers! You can help by doing any or all of the following:
- Purchase one of Ross’ albums!
- Become a patron of our work!
- Make purchases via our Amazon website links. There is no additional cost to you, and a portion of the proceeds can support our travels. Begin your Amazon search here.
- Make other purchases using our affiliate links. Signing up with Dosh is a great way for everyone with a smartphone to support us, and we also have options for aspiring virtual assistants as well as occasional and full-time RVers to save money.
- Listen to, subscribe and review our theater comedy podcast, Finishing The Season!
- Subscribe to our blog, as well as perhaps InSearchOfAScoop.com, and recommend our work to your friends and family.
- Take music or theater lessons (group or private) from us, either in person or via Skype at TinyVillageMusic.com.